Saturday, April 26, 2008

Al Roker

Orlando Airport security lines.

Michelle, my wife met Al Roker on Thursday as we waited in line to have our carry-ons screened before flying home. Al wasn't a happy camper. the lines were long and Mr. Roker's request to move to a shorter line was rebuffed by a TSA official. my peace-making wife tried to console Mr. Roker as he waited impatiently behind us. it definitely wasn't the same picture we've had of cheerful Al on the Today Show and Food Network.

it can't be easy being a public figure. there weren't any paparazzi trailing Al Roker, but still, there was no blending into the crowd. how do you separate your public and private persona?

on a MUCH smaller scale, as a pastor in a small community, i've had to wrestle with the public nature of my calling. i can try to hide from it. avoid it. or always be "on call" - always wearing the clergy uniform. none of the above have worked very well.

i too have my good days and my bad days. one thing i am striving for is authenticity - wysiwyg - what you see is what you get. not that I use the "pulpit" (actually music stand) as public therapy, but i definitely don't want a huge disconnect between my public life and my private. this will require friends and especially my wife to keep me on the true (truth) path. she knows more than anyone whether the morning message jives with the evening dinner

hope you have a better day tomorrow Al.

No comments: