Friday, October 29, 2010

Transfromation - Day 19

"Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. Pray for us, too, that God will give us many opportunities to speak about his mysterious plan concerning Christ. That is why I am here in chains. Pray that I will proclaim this message as clearly as I should." - Colossians 4:2-4

Well after a day of exercising the mind, it's time to re-engage the heart - actually heart and mind. Notice how Paul calls on those in the church to pray - with an alert mind and thankful heart? The Greek here ("devote yourselves") is a strong call to persist in prayer, persevere, to never give up praying. Pray alertly or "wide awake" with thanksgiving. Pray. Pray. Pray.

Haven't we heard this before? What does that tell us?  I don't doubt any of us think we pray enough or do it well.  How can learn to pray as Paul encourages?

I sense that if we can get our prayer lives in order, much of the rest of our lives with fall into place. Do you have a system to prayer? a specific time? a way to be reminded to pray throughout the day? I have a deep longing to help you develop a persisting prayer life, to give you tools and teachings to help you connect deeply with Christ. This devotional blog is one attempt. We must continually spur one another on to live for and listen to Christ.

Why do we think we can live abundantly without Christ and his guidance? Why do we have such spiritual amnesia? I remain convinced that we really need daily contact in both our private devotion and in our relationship with others to give us grace to stay connected to the Vine.


And finally, as Paul requests prayer for his ministry so do I. Pray that God will give me many opportunities to speak about the mystery of Christ. Pray that I can proclaim this message as clearly as possible. Really pray for me!

Paul was in chains and he longed to be with these followers he knew only through Epaphras. I am blessed to be with you every week. Let's not take this gift for granted. Don't let your questions go unanswered. Don't coast though your Christian life without seeking the guidance you need to go deeper and grow deeper. God's blessed me with an education and a life call, not so I can "impress you with my knowledge" but to help you become all that God wants for you to be.  I long to have you become the Christ followers that God created you to be.

No comments: