Thursday, January 20, 2011

Marching to March

Last Sunday, we began the transition of pastoral care and teaching of the Bel Air's 11:00 worship service in a very tangible way. About mid-way through the service, Pastor Barry blessed those who were going to Emmorton and dismissed us so we could plan for this Sunday - a Community Prayer Watch (another story).

I was focused on the impact this would have on those who remained. What I wasn't ready for was the impact this simple move/march out of McComas Hall would have on me (and I am guessing many of us).

As people walked past to get to the library (the exact opposite end of the building), I was struck by those who felt this call to be in mission, and then deeply touched as I looked out on eager faces who had assembled in the library - at least 40 adults plus children and teenagers. There were new faces and faces of folk whom I was unsure were coming.

I was humbled by what God had done and was doing and would do as we begin this journey towards being a missionary faith community. I admit, I teared up and as we opened in prayer. I was overwhelmed with the magnitude of what we were going to do TOGETHER - to attempt to forge a loving faith community that always has room for one more imperfect person.

I saw Acts 2.

I saw in this group the potential to change the world.

I remembered how God likes to work with small things so that the glory can only be His. How He chooses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. I could link you to this passage, but I want to make sure you read these words . . .

Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called.
Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential;
not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;
God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things
—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,
so that no one may boast before him.
It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus,
who has become for us wisdom from God—
that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.
Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”
- 1 Corinthians 1:26-31

So rich.

We are like pioneers - stepping into the brave unknown - relearning how to be a 21st century ancient church.

I'm reading a great book by Leonard Sweet called Jesus Manifesto and on Monday, as I read, these words popped off the page. It's not like I didn't know this but some how the wording - coming directly from God - really raised the reality of who we are and what we will be about - being the Body of Christ . . .

". . . the ekklesia [church/gathering] is the only hope this world has to see My Son physically before He returns. Why? Because His body is the living, breathing, moving, functioning image of Jesus. Therefore, the only address where anyone can find Him is . . . you."

The ONLY HOPE!?! We are the Body, the incarnation of Christ on this planet and we have taken up the mission of God - to reconnect humanity to God through His Son, Jesus Christ - by loving people into a relationship with Jesus Christ. Everybody needs somebody to love.

Like Jake and Elwood Blues, we're on a mission from God. Let's dance like David danced - like Jake and Elwood - into our future. (can't embed this - just click on the link . . .)

No comments: