Friday, December 9, 2011

Friday's SOAP - 2 Corinthians 9:6-11

 6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 9 As it is written:
   “They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor;
   their righteousness endures forever.”
 10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

S(cripture) - Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

O(bservation) - This is such a critical part of stewardship and I think it often gets overlooked. There are a myriad of motivations to give . . Institution building, loyalty, guilt, trying to earn heavenly frequent flyer points, seeking to impress others, tax write-offs, compulsion, belief in the vision of the person or organization, trust that the gift will be used wisely . . . What's your motivation?

A(pplication) - Paul writes that it shouldn't be guilt or compulsion. Giving should be done with joy. Is that a picture of your giving? (smiling when the collection basket goes by?) The mark of a Christ follower's maturity can be found in his or her attitude when giving. Take your spiritual pulse. (I will too.) When presented with the opportunity to give, do you . . .

a) calculate the minimum amount you can give and save face
b) calculate how much you can afford to give, while worrying how the giving will impact your budget
c) cheerfully calculate how much you can afford to give, while wishing you could give more!
c) empty your wallet with joy because you know that what's in your wallet is "me money" that will bless others if you give it away.

I'm listening to the little drummer boy now, reminding me of that incredible story of a calloused boy who encounters the baby Jesus and finds healing for his lamb but more importantly for his soul. He offers the only gift he has - "I'll play my drum for him."  Cheerfully.

P(rayer) - Abba, work deep into my soul and make me a cheerful giver. And with it, teach me discipline with my resources (spend less) so that I can give more. I need Your grace. You gave yourself freely. May I freely give, cheerfully give, joyfully give. And in so doing, experience your love because You LOVE a cheerful giver. Love me. Amen.


No comments: