Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thursday's SOAP - 1 Timothy 6:9-10

  6 Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. 7 After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it. 8 So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.
 9 But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

S(cripture) - true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth

O(bservation) - Contentment. That word just pops off the page for me. I am often not a content person. The perfectionist in me says, "it can be done better." The greed in me reminds me, "if I only had more . . ." The world I live in constantly admonishes me that I haven't arrived. TV and radio advises me that I won't be fulfilled unless I obtain "X."

Contentment. Being satisfied with what i have and my lot in life is great wealth. I think this why I like It's a Wonderful Life so much. George Bailey was not content. It took the reality of the town folk who rallied around him to let him know how rich he was. Watched "The Emporer's Club" last night - same theme. (All teachers should watch that movie by the way.)

Contentment. Maybe I need to watch more of these movies. You have a favorite?

A(pplication) - The forces that pull against contentment are strong. First is that internal pull - I am a fallen human being who craves the physical to fill what is missing spiritually. Second, I live in a world of fallen human beings who are are all singing that same refrain in order to sell product. Everyone seeking love, joy, hope, peace, contentment and seeking to find it in stuff. Anyone who has an eternal perspective sees how silly this is - chasing after wealth and popularity and power. Still the pull of this world is strong.

Smell that cheddar? Don't worry about that spring loaded wire it's sitting on. "People who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction."

P(rayer) - Abba, in this season when the message to consume gets louder, may I hear You clearly. Truly, You say there is a place for celebration. Guide me into true celebration and contentment today and through this season. Amen.

No comments: