Wednesday, May 25, 2011

tSoGS - Genesis 4:1-16 Reflection

Sorry - this is late - a full day of travel and getting settled in to Annual Conference.


I won't make this long. I just want you to reflect on a couple of things.

This is life after the Garden, life after the Fall.

And the first post-Fall story is tragic. Murder, but not of a stranger, or and enemy but a brother.

It shows the depravity. Remember the image of God - God created us with a moral stamp? In the Fall, the stamp is almost completely obliterated. A conscious that shows no remorse. A simple emotion of jealousy leads to murder, and where does the emotion come from? the act of worship. Sick.

And to show how the Fall has corrupted intimacy, corrupted relationship, Cain utters this famous line _ "Am I my brother's keeper?" In this sense a literal brother is rejected. And now generation after generation we continue to drift further and further apart from one another. Race divides, religion divides, socio-economics divide, politics divide, geography divides, even worship divides. And most of humanity still blows off God - "Am I my brother's keeper?"

How God must grieve. May we proclaim as Christ followers - "Yes, I am my brother's keeper."

Reverse the Curse. Reclaim the Garden. Usher in the Kingdom.

No comments: