Friday, November 25, 2011

Friday's SOAP - Philippians 3:7-14

7 I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. 8 Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ 9and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. 10I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, 11 so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!

S(cripture) - I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!

O(bservation) - Paul was fueled by the resurrection of Christ. His first encounter with Jesus was on the road to Damascus. He was on his way to arrest men, women, and children who were followers of Christ. Jesus spoke clearly to Saul (his Jewish name) in a blinding light, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"
"ME?" Jesus was intimately connected to and felt the pain of his church so much that he felt their suffering.
Saul's life was forever changed - an encounter with the resurrected Christ. A life so changed that Paul (name changed to relate to Gentiles (non-Jews)) became a church planter for Jesus. And now he writes how his former life was (literally) crap compared to knowing Christ.

And not just knowing Jesus in an intellectual way - the intimacy Paul heard in Jesus' first words "why are you persecuting ME?," he now claims for himself. Paul discarded everything else so he could "become one with him [Christ] (v 9)."

Paul was able to face suffering and death because the resurrection was so real to him because the resurrected Jesus was so real to him. And now Paul is not afraid of death, in fact he seems to invite it - because he recognizes the power of the resurrection. Power - Greek dunomai - dynamite. Contemplate for a moment (a lifetime), the power necessary to raise God from the dead. Paul says he wants to experience that power.

A(pplication) - Have you encountered the resurrected Christ? If so, you're life can never be the same. Everything in your life will be crap (it's biblical) compared to knowing Jesus. You'll be able to live powerfully through suffering. You won't fear death. You'll want to live for him who died (and rose) for you. Are you living a resurrection life? Are you seeking the power of the resurrection?

P(rayer) - Abba, I fear that too few of those in your church have experienced You and your resurrection. We are weak. We live fearful lives, failing to live up the high calling to which Christ has called us heavenward. We prefer the crap of this world and the accompanying stench to the aroma of your resurrection. Lord, Yeshua, have mercy. Come you say, "buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see." Why would we ever want to return to the stench after smelling your sweet perfume - perfume that brings life and power? Abba, may we not go another day without an encounter with Your resurrected Son, our resurrected Savior, Jesus. Come Jesus, show me your power.  Resurrect me from my dead life.  Pour your life-giving Spirit into me.  Amen.






 p.s. how appropriate that this is the lesson on Black Friday - a day set aside for chasing after the crap.  So which is it for you Good Friday or Black Friday?

No comments: