Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tuesday's SOAP - Mark 12:41-44, Luke 6:37-38

41 Jesus sat down near the collection box in the Temple and watched as the crowds dropped in their money. Many rich people put in large amounts. 42 Then a poor widow came and dropped in two small coins.
 43 Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions. 44 For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.”

 37 “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.”



S(cripture) - Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.”


O(bservation) - This text is from Luke's version of the "sermon on the mount" - a string of short sayings that set the tone and purpose for Jesus ' Kingdom ministry.  In both texts Jesus is absolutely impressing upon his listeners that a Kingdom life is a life of generosity. Yesterday - "sell all that you have."  Today - "she has given everything."  The contrast is striking - hard to believe that our money may be our greatest barrier to living the Kingdom life.  Now, as shared on Sunday, money is NOT the root of all evil, but the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.  (Look at wars and violence, marriage breakups . . . and what is often the cause?)  But back to the text and our wrestling with it.  This passage in Luke comes with a promise - give and you'll get back - but not just what you gave. The imagery is striking - the container you hold in your lap (the one you poured your offering out of)  will be poured into and then tamped down and still it will spill out and into your lap!  Ever shake a jar of pennies to get them to settle to make room for more?


A(pplication) - Two thoughts or questions pop into my mind . . . 


Is this return on investment in this life time?
Will I trust Jesus to keep his promise?



The first question is easy - "Maybe - some depends on who else trusts God when I have needs - this great circle of sharing - that is what the Kingdom is about, but I must also be willing to recognize that my treasure may be stored up for me in heaven, where thieves can't touch it, or rust or moths . . ."


The second question - Now this gets to the heart of camels and eyes of needles.  Will I trust my money to take care of me or trust God?  And here is this widow with nothing who trusts God completely.  To be honest I am still a work in progress here.  I trust and then I don't.  I give joyously and then I count pennies.  I live in the moment and then I fret over college for my kids and retirement.  Lord have mercy.


P(rayer) - I'm not going to right out my prayer.  I need to get alone with God and our out my soul.  I encourage you to do the same.  Lord, have mercy.  Amen.









No comments: