Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday's SOAP - Mark 10:17-30

17 As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
 18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good. 19But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. You must not cheat anyone. Honor your father and mother.’”
 20 “Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”
 21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
 22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
 23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”
 26 The disciples were astounded. “Then who in the world can be saved?” they asked.
 27 Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God.”
 28 Then Peter began to speak up. “We’ve given up everything to follow you,” he said.
 29 “Yes,” Jesus replied, “and I assure you that everyone who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or property, for my sake and for the Good News, 30 will receive now in return a hundred times as many houses, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and property—along with persecution. And in the world to come that person will have eternal life.

S(cripture)Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

O(bservation) - A young man comes up to Jesus asking the greatest question anyone could ask - "What must I do to inherit eternal life - inherit the Kingdom?"  Jesus answers that he should keep the commandments.  The young man affirms that he does - I picture him saying it with sincere joy - because the next line shows Jesus looking into his soul - his eagerness, his humility - Jesus felt genuine love for him.  This is agape love - unconditional - no strings attached love (the same word used in John 3:16.)

So when Jesus tells him he lacks something more and that the remedy is to sell all he has and follow him, Jesus is not placing conditions on his love.  The opposite, he is inviting the young man into his circle of disciples - to a place of wisdom and intimacy and true blessing.  Sell everything and follow me.

The young man's joy turned to sorrow - it was - as he counted the cost - too great a request.  This is one of the saddest stories in the Gospels.  He walked away head down.

And Jesus goes on to explain how difficult it is for the wealthy to accept his invitation into the Kingdom.  Hearers are astounded and confused because everyone believed wealth was a visible sign of God's favor.  Jesus says camels can go through eyes of needles easier than rich folk can enter the Kingdom.  Why?  They have too much to lose (in this world).

But there is hope.  Listeners question, "If not the blessed rich, then who can be saved?"  But Jesus offers a different way.  What is impossible for humans is not impossible for God.  God can make a way.

A(pplication) - So does this text leave you a little bit uneasy?  (It does me.) We may or may not have much compared to our neighbors in Harford County, but compared with the rest of the world we live like kings and queens.  And with this comes the great universal question - what must I do to inherit eternal life?  We'd like to insert the standard grace answer here - "believe in Jesus" (not a bad answer) but that's not the answer Jesus gives here. Jesus said, "First keep the commands then sell everything and give to the poor because you can't cart your stuff around and follow me."

Which begs the question - is this universal - does this apply to everyone? to me?  Well, I don't think it is universal, but on the other hand selling your stuff may or may not apply to you and there's only one way to get at this: Do you love your stuff more than you love God?  Are you willing to give any of it up or away in order to bless others?  You see the real question is what (or who) do you love more than God?  These are the things that Jesus will look at you with unconditional love and say, "Drop it all and enter into deep relationship with me."  Jesus wants to liberate you not make you miserable.

Don't walk away sad.  Jesus knows what will heal your soul and free you.  And while he may be blunt with his Rx, he is gentle and humble - his yoke is easy.  Don't be afraid to ask the great question and don't be afraid to listen for the answer.  It's the difference between life and death.

Peter said, "We've given up everything to follow you."  

P(rayer) -
All to Jesus, I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

I surrender all, I surrender all,
All to Thee, my blessèd Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.


1 comment:

walkfam4 said...

I loved the added song what a nice touch.