Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tuesday's SOAP - John 11:1-44

The passage is too long to post in its entirety so click this link to read the story of Lazarus.

John 11:1-44

S(cripture)When Mary arrived and saw Jesus, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died.”  When Jesus saw her weeping and saw the other people wailing with her, a deep anger welled up within him, and he was deeply troubled.

O(bservation) - The Greek translates, Jesus was angry in his spirit.  I was struck by this thought and it raised questions.  What made Jesus angry? the pain of death witnessed in the actions of those around Jesus?  the very idea of death?  the professional mourners? the superstitions surrounding the burial?  the lack of faith?  the loss of his close friend, Lazarus?


I found a sermon that does excellent job of explaining this difficult text.  Why Was Jesus angry?


The clue is found in what Jesus said earlier to Martha:  "I am the resurrection and the life."  Jesus is angry at the lack of faith.  Jesus is angry at the ritual going-through-the motions mourning.  Even Mary was wailing - and subtly blames Jesus for her brother's death - "You didn't get here in time."  There was neither true grief nor hope.  This moment, rather than being sacred and solemn, was a circus.

The word for Jesus' weeping is different than the wail or Mary and the crowd.  It is a quiet tear. 

He is still angry.  And as he hinted earlier with his disciples, he intends to do something that brings glory to God - Jesus is the resurrection.  Death does not conquer Jesus.  Jesus conquers death and this is a fore-shadowing of the great Event to come.  Lazarus comes out of the tomb - alive.

A(pplication) - I actually chose this text, to talk about the deep love that Jesus had for Mary, Martha and Lazarus.  (This Mary poured expensive perfume on his feet.)  In the midst of all those connected to Jesus, these three were family to Jesus - providing a home and respite - a safe place in the "suburbs" of Jerusalem.  But maybe we all needed to be guided back to the resurrection and how Jesus feels about life and death, how he doesn't want us to go through the motions with life - to recognize the gift of life in this life and the life to come that Jesus offers.  And in recognizing this gift, embracing the relationships that are part of this gift God has given us.  My mother-in-law gave me a tshirt once that read "Live your life so the preacher won't have to lie at your funeral."  Don't go through the motions.  Don't miss out.  Take a deep breath and let Jesus bring you back to life.

P(rayer) - Abba, Life is short. It is so crowded with so much that is not important.  Help me to live as the resurrected man you have made me.  Breathe in me and on me.  Call me out of the grave in which I have placed myself.  Cut me out of the bandages that bind me up.  Make me fully alive to the life you have given me so I can die into the life you have promised me.  I'm reminded of the funeral liturgy. "Help us so live as those prepared to die so that when our summons comes, we shall die as those prepared to live, and whether living or dying, our hope is in You."






No comments: