Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Draw the Circle - Day 31 - Spell It Out

"What do you want me to do for you?" - Matthew 20:32

It's God's prerogative to answer prayer.  He doesn't mind us asking.

I still find it difficult - God has already given me life - it's hard for me to ask for more.

But God is generous.  And this is an ongoing learning for me.

God doesn't get angry when we ask - even when our asking is audacious - beyond God's desire for us.

God can use our asking to teach us.

Like Jesus told his disciples - "You really don't know what you are asking for."

When I was little my Dad took me to the general store - a Mom and Pop store in Cherry Run.  My best friend lived right behind the store.  When we got there, Dad bought me an orange "pop" but I wanted more.  I wanted to visit my friend, Craig, who lived in a house next door to the store.  My Dad kept refusing my request, but finally after pestering forever, he relented.  I was so happy.  Pop in hand, I ran out of the store and ran around the corner to visit Craig - Dad gave me a time limit.  It was dark outside the store and I forgot there was a set of steps leading into the private residence beside the store - concrete steps.  Well you guessed it.  I RAN into the steps - dropped my pop bottle and ended up with some major scrapes and bruises on my shins.  Dad came out gathered me up.  I felt so foolish. And home we went.

This event still forms me.  Sometimes we beg for want we don't need.  And God relents even though He wants better for us.

Maybe this event is part of my problem.  I don't know.

I just know Father knows best.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So I was thinking, actually a thought came to me. I prayed on it a couple of days. What if we asked the abingdon community what they need prayer for in there lives. My thought instead of serving like normal. What if we put letters on doors explaining who we are, briefly explain that we are circling and attach a blank post card. The home owners could then leave it taped on there door for us. We could then walk in groups, collect the cards and pray in there yards. Who knows maybe we could even answer a few. Just a thought.

Stan said...

Thanks Val. I think there is merit in praying specifically for others - especially in our target community. The harder part is determining the vehicle for letting our neighbors know we are ready and willing to pray for them - especially strangers. When I get back from vacation, let's explore how to make this work.

One thing I believe many of us can do, is make ourselves available at our place of work. A business card with "Need Prayer?" would be an easy gift to make available.

Thanks again for sharing. Keep circling.