Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Draw the Circle - Day 38 - Climb the Watchtower

"I will climb up to my watchtower and stand at my guard-post." - Habakkuk 2:1

In the Hebrew testament, the Israelites often set up memorial stones/altars to mark a sacred event.  These sacred events became sacred places - a constant reminder of where they had met God in the past and how faithful God had been to them.  God would command them or they would know instinctively to pile up and alter of stones.   I can imagine how these memorial altars had an impact on anyone who made pilgrimage to them.

"This is where God provided a ram to Abraham."

"This is where God brought your ancestors into the Promised Land on a dry river bed."

"This is where Elijah whipped some Baal tail."

It had to bring their faith to life.

Think about how experiential the Passover meal is - taste - remember.

This Draw the Circle blogging has been good for me - it's reminded me of my calling and the visions/prayers that God has answered which fuels my faith for the future.  I've have several places where I put down a "pile of stones" to remind me that God has been faithful.

Do you have places or events that you embrace as major markers in your spiritual journey? your baptism?  a retreat?  a quiet walk? a birth?  a death?

Pile up some stones and pray. 

And be reminded that God is faithful.

Just look where He has brought you to this very day.

"This is where Jesus died for you."

"This is where he defeated death."

"This is where he promised he'd return some day."

Watch and wait and pray.

No comments: