Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Jesse Tree - December 16

Today's text - Jonah 3:1-4:4

Jonah's one of my favorite Bible stories.  Not because of the big fish or whatever that swallowed him.

But because Jonah was a reluctant-selfish prophet.

I see some of me in him.

And I take great comfort in the fact that despite Jonah's foibles, God did not abandon him.

I also love that these "pagan" people - the Ninevites so readily and freely repented when warned - even if Jonah's proclamation was less than rousing.

One line from a reluctant prophet - "Forty more days and Ninevah will be destroyed."

And the Ninevites "believed God."

This story says a lot about God.

He's patient with Jonah.

He's concerned with more people that just the Israelites.

He's quick to show mercy to those who repent.

Listen to this.

Jonah, in the middle of throwing a holy tantrum because there were no heavenly fireworks raining down on Ninevah declares,
“Didn’t I say before I left home that you would do this, Lord? That is why I ran away to Tarshish! I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people.  . ."
Merciful.
Compassionate.
Slow to anger.
Filled with unfailing love.

THIS is so much bigger than whether it is possible to someone to get swallowed by a fish and live to tell about it.

(Really people?)

THIS is the real story of Jonah.

ALL PEOPLE MATTER TO GOD.

(and that includes you.)


No comments: