Friday, December 7, 2012

The Jesse Tree - December 7

Today's texts - Genesis 37:33-31 and Genesis 50:15-20

(you are reading the verses, right?)

Jacob had twelve sons.

I have two.

Jacob's twelve sons were all his by four different mothers.

My two do not share the same biological mother or father.

Jacob played favorites - the favorite son of a favorite wife.

I try not to play favorites, but my sons might tell you differently.

As a father, you want nothing more than for your children to love each other.

I suspect Joseph felt this way, though he did a poor job of helping that cause.

Then again, he did have twelve.

I find it hard with two.

The straw that broke the final bond between brothers was a beautiful robe gifted to one of the twelve - to Joseph.

His brothers were so jealous, they sold him into slavery and faked his death.

Goat's blood marred a beautiful robe.

They brought it back to their common father and asked, "Does this robe belong to YOUR son?" (my emphasis so you don't miss the point.)

Joseph wasn't their brother - only their Father's son.

Fast-forward.

God favors Joseph. He rises out of slavery and prison to incredible authority and power in Egypt. The family reunites.

Joseph shows them incredible favor. Shows his love. Buries the hatchet. Saves them from starvation.

But the brothers still don't see Joseph as their brother.

Jacob, their father, dies. The brothers concoct a story - another lie - "Dad says don't hurt us."

And Joseph weeps.

I imagine tears of pain. Tears of isolation.

After all these years. After all his grace to them, they still don't get it. They come to him and offer to be his slaves (one of Joseph's dreams back when he was a boy.) and Joseph responds with such incredible grace and wisdom and maturity. I'm not sure how many of us could have said it. . . .
"But Joseph replied, “Don’t be afraid of me. Am I God, that I can punish you? You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people."
Joseph's story is a foreshadow of Jesus' story - a dead son is alive. Something meant for evil - a cross becomes the place form where Jesus can pardon all - "Father, forgive them . . ."

With one variation in the story- a beautiful robe, is given not to one, but to all who receive Jesus' pardon.
"After this I saw a vast crowd, too great to count, from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne and before the Lamb. They were clothed in white robes and held palm branches in their hands. . . . And I said to him, “Sir, you are the one who knows.” Then he said to me, “These are the ones who died in the great tribulation. They have washed their robes in the blood of the Lamb and made them white." - Revelation 7:9,14
God is offering you a robe.  Wear it well.  Love your brothers.  Forgive them.












No comments: