Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday's SOAP - Psalm 1

1 Oh, the joys of those who do not
follow the advice of the wicked,
or stand around with sinners,
or join in with mockers.
2 But they delight in the law of the Lord,
meditating on it day and night.
3 They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
bearing fruit each season.
Their leaves never wither,
and they prosper in all they do.
4 But not the wicked!
They are like worthless chaff, scattered by the wind.
5 They will be condemned at the time of judgment.
Sinners will have no place among the godly.
6 For the Lord watches over the path of the godly,
but the path of the wicked leads to destruction.

S(cripture) - "For the Lord watches over the path of the godly, but the path of the wicked leads to destruction."

O(bservation) - God watching over me - keeping me from destruction.  Watching events unfold on Wall Street and around the world.  There is a lot of hate, judgement, fear, violence.  God watching over me - protecting me.  I NEED to hear this today.  Oh to be a tree planted by a stream - never withering -always alive.  The Psalmist wrote of delight in the Law of the Lord. I find my delight in Jesus Christ - the Vine.  "If you remain in me, you will bear much fruit."  I feel my stress go down, my heart slow, I take a deep breath as I write these words and my eyes slightly water at the goodness and love of Jesus.  Delight.  When's the last time you've been delighted?  What causes you delight? 

A(pplication) - I can focus on all the craziness of the world or I can meditate on Jesus - all day.  I know this isn't easy.  I know a church that gave everyone an alarmm so that evry hour the alarm goes off to remind people to reconnect.  It's pracitcal and wise.  Churches used to ring bells to remind people to pray.  Monastery's still do.  Muslims do.  When I was in the middle east, it was surreal to hear the Muslim call to prayer over the loudspeakers.  So think, I'm gonna set my cell phone to beep every hour so I won't forget to meditate on Jesus - the True Vine. Nothing drawn out - just a hourly reminder of who I am and who Jesus is.

P(rayer) - Abba, bring me into a complete day with you.  a day filled with grace and may I not go through the motions in my meditations.  Amen.


No comments: