Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday's SOAP - Luke 3:7-14

7 When the crowds came to John for baptism, he said, “You brood of snakes! Who warned you to flee God’s coming wrath? 8 Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don’t just say to each other, ‘We’re safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.’ That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones. 9 Even now the ax of God’s judgment is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire.” 10 The crowds asked, “What should we do?”
11 John replied, “If you have two shirts, give one to the poor. If you have food, share it with those who are hungry.”
12 Even corrupt tax collectors came to be baptized and asked, “Teacher, what should we do?”
13 He replied, “Collect no more taxes than the government requires.”
14 “What should we do?” asked some soldiers.
John replied, “Don’t extort money or make false accusations. And be content with your pay.”

S(cripture) - John replied, “If you have two shirts, give one to the poor. If you have food, share it with those who are hungry.”

O(bservation) - Let's see - focus on "you brood of snakes!" or "What should we do?"  I've noticed when it comes to judgment - somebody else always deserved it more than me.  I am pretty good at lying to myself.  I can read this text and detach myself from it - John was talking to THOSE people who don't get it.  Those people - the brood of snakes.  But the scary thing is to think that John is just as much saying this to me (and to you).  Prove by the way you live that you have truly repented.  This isn't crocodile tears repentance - this is a change in lifestyle.

Every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown on the bonfire.

pause for reflection . . . note to self - God's judgment is real.

The parameters we've placed on God's judgment has us safely away from the fire.  It's those other people who don't believe in Jesus that will be toast.  But that's not what John says.  Trees that don't produce good fruit get chpped down into firewood.

So - what is good fruit?  John says our repetance is tied to our economics.

Too many shirts? Give them away.  Have ANY food? Share it.  Getting rich off others? Be honest in the market place.  Have power? Don't abuse it. Live within your means.

Good fruit.

Bad fruit - no fruit?  hording, not being generous, stealing, not sharing, consuming more than you need, abusing = firewood.

A(pplication) - I've got a closet full of clothes to go through and a cupboard to clear out and finances to straighten out so I can share.  I don't want to be firewood.

P(rayer) - Abba, this series on LIFE! in the burbs/simplicity is not for my benefit though I know I will benefit from it.  You are calling me to simplicity so that I can be about your Kingdom work - so I can bear good fruit.  Abba, it is daunting.  I am so entangled in all the "trappings" of affluent suburban America.  I will need grace - your grace to no where to begin to untangle.  Give me wisdom, in Jesus name. Amen.

No comments: