Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday's SOAP - Matthew 21:28-32

28 “But what do you think about this? A man with two sons told the older boy, ‘Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.’ 29 The son answered, ‘No, I won’t go,’ but later he changed his mind and went anyway. 30 Then the father told the other son, ‘You go,’ and he said, ‘Yes, sir, I will.’ But he didn’t go. 31 “Which of the two obeyed his father?”
They replied, “The first.”
Then Jesus explained his meaning: “I tell you the truth, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do. 32 For John the Baptist came and showed you the right way to live, but you didn’t believe him, while tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even when you saw this happening, you refused to believe him and repent of your sins.

S(cripture) - "Then Jesus explained his meaning: “I tell you the truth, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do. "

O(bservation) - Jesus has just entered Jerusalem (triumphal entry), has thrown out the money changers from the Temple, cursed a fig tree, and then has his authority and purpose questioned. He's talking to those who have just questioned him - these are the elite Jewish religious establishment.  These are people who question Jesus' family tree, his religious pedigree and education, and whether anyone from the boondocks has any right to come into Jersualem and claim a teaching position.  Jesus tells them a story about two sons and obedience - that it's not about what you say but what you do.  Then to "make freinds and influence people," he tells these elites that they're flunking out of the Kingdom of God and embezzlers and red light ladies are passing.  How did they pass while the Jewish leaders didn't?  They turned from their way of life and turned toward the lifestyle that God desires - mercy, compassion, generosity - John the Baptist's message about the right way to live. (Here's John's message.)

A(pplication) - Pretty clear that Jesus isn't too impressed with good intentions or empty promises or self-righteous religous types who miss out on the message of God because they can't get past the messenger.  And he speaks the truth.  I think we need that truth today.  Politicians needs to hear his message. And the 1%. And the 99%.  People in church need to hear the church (there are so many churches/Christians that don't give a flying leap about the poor!)  And I need to hear the truth from Jesus - because I can be as spiritually blind as the next guy.  I like to think I've got this Jesus thing figured out, but I don't.  So I need to be in Jesus, listening, learning and repenting - I need continual nudging to stay on the Kingdom path.

P(rayer) - Abba, thank you for your Son, who pointed people to the Kingdom.  And opened the door for the poor and the marginalized and the common.  May I be found among them.  I repent of stinginess and coveting and thinking more than doing.  Speak truth into my life so I can stay on the Kingdom path. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: