Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday's SOAP - Matthew 5:1-12

1 One day as he saw the crowds gathering, Jesus went up on the mountainside and sat down. His disciples gathered around him, 2 and he began to teach them.
   3 “God blesses those who are poor
            and realize their need for him,
       for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
    4 God blesses those who mourn,
      for they will be comforted.
    5 God blesses those who are humble,
      for they will inherit the whole earth.
    6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice,
      for they will be satisfied.
    7 God blesses those who are merciful,
      for they will be shown mercy.
    8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure,
      for they will see God.
    9 God blesses those who work for peace,
      for they will be called the children of God.
   10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right,
      for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
S(cripture) - "God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted."

O(bservation) - The last SOAP was this same passage, but I am drawn to another verse.  I know why, but not sure how to share.  We live in a world where the standard response to "How are you?" is to say "fine."  Often that's a lie.  I'm guilty of it.  And I suspect there are a number of reasons. First, I'm a pastor and as a "leader" it's my task to set the tone for our community.  Second, I don't want to come off as a whiner - who wants to hang around a grouse?  Third, I wonder who would pay attention anyway.  Fourth I'm a Christian and well, you know, we are supposed to be shiny happy people.  Fifth, there are always people worse off than me so I should just suck it up . . .  Well, you get the point.  "Fine" is just easier.

Then Jesus comes along with this series of blessings that seem counter-intuitive.  Blessed are those who aren't shiny happy people.  And today is one of those days when I am anything but shiny and happy.  My shoulder is in pain, I'm wrestling with time and finances and things breaking.  I'm wrestling with where the Vine is headed - can we, will we break open into mission?  Does the Kingdom of God and Christ's love mean that much to us? And some of it is just the day after the big event syndrome - like Elija who a day after defeating the prophets of Baal, finds himself alone and down on a mountain and wants to die.  There is spiritual warfare - advancing the Kingdom is not without pain.

God blesses are those who mourn.


A(pplication)  – So I hunger to be comforted by the very hand of God.  And I hope by answering with something other than "fine" that others will have the courage to be honest with themselves and with God.  God is in the suffering.  Often more in the suffering than anywhere else.  God inhabits the tears of his people.

Yesterday Aleah Elder came up to me and asked "Why is God invisible?"  Wow.  I won't even begin to share the conversation to help Aleah in her quest(ion), except at the end I picked her up and hugged her and whispered in her ear that God was indeed in the hug I was giving her.  After that we went to the Benson's to pray for Art and Gloria and God was in the laying-on of hands.

God is in the tears and in the hugs and in the conversations and in the touches of the saints.

God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted.


My shoulder doesn't hurt as bad - still facing the mountains of time and money . . .

P(prayer) – Abba, Comfort all anywhere who mourn this day.  These are the words of the funeral liturgy.  Help me and the people of the Vine to be real with one another in the laughter and the tears.  Help me laugh today.  Amen.

No comments: