Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday's SOAP - Colossians 4:2-6

2 Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. 3 Pray for us, too, that God will give us many opportunities to speak about his mysterious plan concerning Christ. That is why I am here in chains. 4 Pray that I will proclaim this message as clearly as I should. 5 Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. 6 Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.

S(cripture) - Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity.

O(bservation) - "Live wisely."  These words are the essence of living the Kingdom life, a life of simplicity, joy, peace, patience . . .  Yet we know that we live in a culture that pulls at us frenetically.  It takes great inner and outer strength to stand up to the winds that beat against us.  And that strength does not come from us but from God.  Grace.  "Devote yourselves to prayer," Paul writes.  But what is fascinating is Paul doesn't write, "Pray for safety or that we'll make it through the day."  He's not wanting to play defense but offense!  "Pray that God will give us many opportunities . . . to speak . . . about Christ."  His chains were just another opportunity to be in mission. "Live wisely," Paul writes and with it "make the most of every opportunity."  Wise living.  Kingdom living will provide those opportunities - opportunities for gracious and attractive conversations.

A(pplication) - What chains does my culture have me wearing?  Am I focused on them or the opportunities that wearing them presents?  Which chains have I put on myself that I can remove through the grace of Christ?  This is where I need wisdom - a clear prayer life - spiritual examination.  Yesterday I wrote of the rhythm of rest.  A few days prior, we explored Solomon's time dichotomies.  Perhaps in our culture we need to know there's a time for work and a time for rest.  What part of work is just busy work and what is accomplishing lasting results?

P(rayer) - Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life. - Psalm 139:23-24  Jesus, this wise, simple, Kingdom life will require that I am immersed in your will.  Open my eyes to both the personal opportunities I have daily to connect with you and the opportunities you give me to connect others to you.  Help me make the most of every opportunity.  Amen.

1 comment:

Stan Cardwell said...

from Thomas D . . .

I am struck by the last part 15...that when he placed his hands on them he moved on.

that all we need is a simple touch of the Lord, a laying on of hands, a comforting hand on the back or head.

Today I just want to feel that simple touch, that touch that says he loves me, he is blessing me and that he is with me