Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wednesday's SOAP - Matthew 7:1-14

“Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. 2 For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.
 3 “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? 4 How can you think of saying to your friend,‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.
 6 “Don’t waste what is holy on people who are unholy.Don’t throw your pearls to pigs! They will trample the pearls, then turn and attack you.
 7 “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.
 9 “You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? 10 Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! 11 So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.
 12 “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.
 13 “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14 But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.
 
S(cripture) “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets."
 
O(bservation) - This passage is as rich as any of Jesus' words, but I sense the Spirit nudging me toward the Golden Rule.  Does anyone even know it or practice it anymore?  I am immediately drawn to our schools and the bullying and pain of kids not treating each other well.  Rather than ten commandments on a wall, I'd rather have every kid memorize and seek to live out the rule.  I don't see how any person of any faith or any person of no faith could find fault with "do to others as you would have them do to you."  Treat people like you'd like to be treated.  There are so many hurting kids - kids from abusive homes, kids trying to figure out their sexuality, kids who don't fit in, kids who wonder if anyone cares coming into the jungle of school where you put on the good face and you tear down others so others don't tear you down.  My kids have let me into their world - more pain and struggles than I ever had to deal with in high school.  I "happened" upon a site a few days ago started by a professor at Grove City College - The Golden Rule Pledge.  I also think about the ugliness that is often happening on the internet when people can hide behind computer screens and spit out hate.  Listening to the radio this morning and the announcers asked people to call in with their pet peeves - so many pointing to the lack of etiquette in supermarkets and on our highways.  Oh I long for a world where the Golden Rule is the rule and not the exception. 
 
A(pplication) - I can't change the way others treat me, but I can change the way I treat others.  It's easy in theory.  But not so easy in practice when others don't "play fair."  But before I get too self-righteous, God is reminding me of all the times I'm tired and lazy or in pain and I fail to put the effort into doing for others.  My family knows.  So I need to start with me and then hope me rubs off on my family.
 
P(rayer) - Abba, Your desire is that not a single person on this planet perish. You desire that those who are created in your image would treat one another as if we are stamped with the "imago dei."  We miss the mark.  I miss the mark. Open my eyes today to the opportunities to put into practice your mark for humanity.  Guide me into opportunities to bless others today.  Amen.

No comments: