Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wednesday's SOAP - Matthew 5:17-30

17 “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved. 19 So if you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God’s laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

20 “But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!

[read the rest here]

S(cripture) - “But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!"

O(bservation) -  In terms of religious rules and regulations, the "scribes" and Pharisees were at the head of the class.  These are Harvard, Oxford and Yale graduates of religiosity. Their prayer life and law keeping puts most of the planet to shame.  And Jesus warns us that if we don't make better grades than these elites, we WILL NEVER ENTER THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.  Soak on that for a while.  How does this jive with the amazing grace I've grown up with?  John 3:16?  Can I explain them away?  "Well Jesus was just using hyperbole to get their/our attention . . . he really didn't mean it that way."

Yeah - speaking to backwoods, redneck Galileans - after saying this Jesus said "just kidding." (read this with sarcasm).

I already shared with you on Sunday that this word "righteous" here is the greek "dikaios" which has a note of personal holiness but also a rich dose of biblical justice - making things right for the poor and marginalized - following God's will for humanity.

And to make sure Jesus' listeners understood, he talked about anger like it was murder, and lust like it was adultery and how the Kingdom is more important than eyes and hands.  Hey people - this is Jesus' first sermon!  Jesus was saying that the Ten Commandments were Kindergarten rules in the Kingdom curriculum.

A(pplication) - What do I do with this?  Really?  My first inclination is to explain it away, water it down, so that I can get a passing grade and enter the Kingdom.  I know there are other texts on grace and mercy (which I need a healthy dose of), but not here.  Jesus warned clearly that my dikaios  - living a holy life of justice is essential for entering the Kingdom of God - not a far away, float-on-clouds opportunity; but a here-and-now, make-the-world-a-better-place,  bring-heaven-to-earth life.  And so the question to ask, is how, today, will I let the light of heaven shine through the cracks of my existence?  Who would God have me bless today?  Who would God have me share with?  And not because I am some how trying to earn Heaven points with God, but because the invitation to enter the Kingdom is free but not cheap.  There is a tension in my own soul between God's grace and His call for diakois.  I have to live within that tension trusting God to work in me and on me because, I know for sure I can't enter the Kingdom under my own power.

P(rayer) - Abba, more love, more power, more of you in my life.  Let me love out of the love you shower on me.  Open my eyes to Kingdom opportunities today. Amen.

No comments: