Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Plan B Day by Day - Genesis 17

I encourage you to read the whole chapter.

Abram and Sarai wanted children desperately.  They tried in every way they could to take control of their lives and make it happen.  But instead they only managed to create strife and confusion.

Even as God continued to affirm that He had a great Plan for their family, Abraham pleaded with God - tried to convince God - that Ishmael would fulfill the promise God had made.

Abraham wanted his plan over God's Plan!

Maybe many of us aren't so blunt with God - to imply that we have a better plan than God's.  And often we don't have as clear a vision as Abraham was given.  Still, we blindly beg God for our plans - a spouse, a child, a job (you fill in the blank) thinking these things or persons will fulfill us. (No beating up here - we ALL (or most) do it.)

God doesn't tell us not to ask.  Even Jesus made a bold request on the night before his death.  But the postlude to Jesus' prayer should be on out lips as well -  "Yet, not my will but yours be done . . ."  A prayer of relinquishment.  A "Plan B" prayer.

God gave Abram and Sarai new names - a do over.  Another chance to affirm His plan for their lives.  And amazingly, they continued to discount God's possibility for them.  But God never gave up on them.

And that's a lesson for all of us.

God never gives up on us.


Some questions to reflect on.  Comments welcome.

Has there been a time in your life when you tried to convince God to accept you Plan A?

What emotions did you experience?

How do you feel now when you recall that experience?

What might God have been saying to you at that time?



2 comments:

Natalie said...

I definitely have seen my life change as I learn to trust god instead of getting hyper about every situation. We have already shared about how Sami was a direct response of our letting go of our determination to have another child. god is so good! But another place I have seen this is my career. The times I spent lamenting about my job, desperately wishing I had something more fulfilling, I was anxious and miserable and made very little progress in my goals. But once I resolved to be grateful and work hard in the job I was given, opportunities started opening up. Now I love my job!

stan said...

those are great though difficult lessons to learn. God is at work within you.