Monday, January 7, 2013

Plan B Day by Day - Psalm 22

Everyone needs healing.

The Psalms - Israel's hymnbook - are a compilation of song-writers pouring our their innermost thoughts and feelings to God.  Some were highest praise.  Some questioned God's presence in times of despair and depression.  This should comfort us.  We are not alone.  Even King David, a man after God's own heart, battled inner demons.  He poured out his pain and his trust in God in Hebrew poetry.

Psalm 22 was one such hymn.

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
    Why are you so far away when I groan for help?
Every day I call to you, my God, but you do not answer.
    Every night you hear my voice, but I find no relief.
But I am a worm and not a man.
    I am scorned and despised by all!
Everyone who sees me mocks me.
    They sneer and shake their heads, saying,
“Is this the one who relies on the Lord?
    Then let the Lord save him!
If the Lord loves him so much,
    let the Lord rescue him!”

14 My life is poured out like water,
    and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart is like wax,
    melting within me.
15 My strength has dried up like sunbaked clay.
    My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth.
    You have laid me in the dust and left me for dead.
16 My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs;
    an evil gang closes in on me.
    They have pierced my hands and feet.
17 I can count all my bones.
    My enemies stare at me and gloat.
18 They divide my garments among themselves
    and throw dice for my clothing.
Lord, do not stay far away!
You are my strength; come quickly to my aid!
24 For he has not ignored or belittled the suffering of the needy.
    He has not turned his back on them,
    but has listened to their cries for help.
30 Our children will also serve him.
    Future generations will hear about the wonders of the Lord.
31








 His righteous acts will be told to those not yet born.

    They will hear about everything he has done.

When was the last time you felt your cries to God went unheard or unanswered? Do you feel that way right now?

In Psalm 22, David looks back at God's faithfulness and forward into God's promises. Spend some time reflecting on how God has been faithful to you. Search Scripture to find a God-promise (or two) that you can hold onto during times of crisis.


No comments: