Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Plan B Day by Day - Psalm 69

Ever feel like you are drowning?  When stuff in life feels like an engulfing flood?

David in Psalm 69 uses incredible imagery in describing his situation and cry for help.
Save me, O God,
for the floodwaters are up to my neck.
Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire;
I can’t find a foothold.
I am in deep water,
and the floods overwhelm me.3 I am exhausted from crying for help;
my throat is parched.
My eyes are swollen with weeping,
waiting for my God to help me. - Psalm 69:1-3
No rosy picture. No pretending that life is "fine" like we so often offer when asked "how you doing?"

But once again, David turns to what he knows is true - that God is bigger than his predicament.
But I keep praying to you, Lord,
hoping this time you will show me favor.
In your unfailing love, O God,
answer my prayer with your sure salvation.
Rescue me from the mud;
don’t let me sink any deeper!
Save me from those who hate me,
and pull me from these deep waters.
Don’t let the floods overwhelm me,
or the deep waters swallow me,
or the pit of death devour me.
Answer my prayers, O Lord,
for your unfailing love is wonderful.
Take care of me,
for your mercy is so plentiful.
Don’t hide from your servant;
answer me quickly, for I am in deep trouble! - Psalm 69:13-17
When life gets difficult where do you turn for help?

Family? friends? a counselor? the government?

Do you "take care of it yourself?"

We can and should, like David, cry out to God in our vulnerability.

Are you surprised by David's honesty about his situation and with God?  Do you have that kind of relationship with God?  How can having this freedom to call out to God honestly, change the way you deal with life when it doesn't go as planned?honest with God


engulfingPsalm 69:1-3, 13-1, like David

No comments: