Monday, June 3, 2013

Draw the Circle - Day 1 - Get Ready

In Caesarea, there lived a Roman army officer named Cornelius, who was a captain of the Italian Regiment. He was a devout, God-fearing man, as was everyone in his household. He gave generously to the poor and prayed regularly to God. - Acts 10:1-2

Rereading the intro again. I can't stress how important it is that we do this together.  Mark Batterson confessed that he had never taken his church though a season of corporate prayer and I feel the same longing.  He also shared how it transformed his church.  It can do the same for us!

When I first read the book, The Circle Maker, I sensed God calling me to schedule bi-weekly prayer walks to support this series and challenge. in addition to our gathering on Sunday mornings - a given, I want to invite you to join me on Saturday, June 8 in the EES parking lot  (Not sure, but Chris might be offering some "prayer runs" as well.)

I also envision us in times of daily prayer.  In order for that to happen, I need and you will need to set up a daily appointment with God.  A time not to be interrupted by any other pressing need - because prayer is the most pressing need.  Mornings are best (or right before bed if you are a night person).  Most likely something will have to give way - sleep? television? morning paper?  But I can't encourage you enough to put this prayer time on your calendar and do not interrupt it - even if it feels awkward at first.  Priority One.

And I see this blog as our way to stay connected when we cannot meet together.  To encourage one another to stick with it.  Do you need this?  I do! Please comment!  Hearing cricket's chirp on this site will cause me to waver.  Hold me up, will you?  Everyday at 7:14 a.m. expect a new entry.

God is calling me into a daily divine appointment with Him so he can set up some divine  appointments with others throughout my day.  While I have may have doubts about the quality, quantity  and content of my prayer life - I do not doubt this.  Prayer is essential for all of us - like breathing.

I've already mentioned us taking a road trip to National Community Church (in Washington, DC) during this series.  This can give us a taste of what could be if our prayer life is transformed and we align to God's work and will.

Finally, we will probably also need to host a concert of prayer - a vigil - an extended time of prayer.  If you are interested or intrigued, let me know.  I could use your help in planning and prepping.  Any takers?

Cornelius prayed regularly.  A Gentile (non-Jew) without benefit of the Holy Spirit was consistent in his petitions to God.  Peter, a Jew, while praying received a special revelation from God - a revelation that knocked down barriers to Cornelius and his family coming to Christ.  What visions does God want to give us?  They will only be given when bathed in prayer.  Regular prayer.

I am energized by the possibilities of Viners abiding in the Vine - bearing fruit.

2 comments:

Thomas Dennison said...

The start of anything is exciting. I lost 8 pounds my first 2 weeks back at working out...up 2 pounds after this weekend.

This morning my alarm went off at 7:14 and I prayed, I read, I took notes...good start.

I am here for you Stan if you are there for me...through weekends, trips to Texas and the end of school. I love Batterson's phrase...praying regular leads to irregular things. I want irregular things, the regular has been wearing me down.

Also a shout out to Jim who has been heard how worn I have been and has been my intercessor...praying my prayers for me each morning. Even when I don't text him, he still prays.

Day 1...I am here

Also going for a run tonight, there is a temple that I have not been taking care of.

Stan said...

Thanks Thomas. I do believe we can take encouragement from one another when we come together to pray. This technology will let us accomplish some things that we could not accomplish otherwise.

And you are correct about new starts - we will need one another to run the marathon of prayer.

God speed!