Friday, June 7, 2013

Draw the Circle - Day 5 - Write It Down

"Write down the revelation" - Habakkuk 2:2

Have you ever tried writing out your prayers?  I have had seasons where I wrote out my prayers.  It did help me slow down and focus.  But it was hard for me to sustain.  I could never settle on a structure, and if I did, I got bored with it.  I've got boxes filled with half-finished journals that I'm not proud of.

Then again - at least they are half-filled.  Better than empty journals!

I also discovered that my prayer journals tended to focus too much on me. As much as I tried, I kept returning to my sins and struggles and this got old.

Digital technology has also conspired against me.  I have atrocious hand-writing and can type faster than I can write, but powering up my laptop and typing doesn't seem right for someone who grew up on analog paper and pencils.

So I hope you get farther than me.  Some of you are wired for detail and structure.  I'm wired for big picture and improv.  So I am committing to journaling - but I also am going to search for methods that let me stay creative - that let me mix things up and that have me praying more for others .  (There's a place for navel gazing prayer but too much is unhealthy.)  Maybe technology based - maybe not.  I do know I want it to be portable and accessible quickly.

I like the idea of Kimberly's prayer map - I am visual and at some level a non-linear thinker so having a map upon which I can take different prayer paths might be a way for me to stay tuned in.  I'm going to have to experiment with that.

How about you?  What are some things you do to keep your prayer life fresh and regular and sustained over the long haul?

(stay safe everyone - that's a prayer)


3 comments:

Natalie said...

I like to sing my prayers, like a mantra. I sing them in the shower, or on my knees. Right now i am focusing on my few big ones. I am praying that God reveals himself to my brother and for Ella to be mighty with God. I hum it, I chant it, I sing songs that remind me of it--Savior: He can move the mountains! I love writing my prayers when I can snatch the time in the morning, but if I don't I like to find other ways during the day.

Thomas Dennison said...

music, guitar and singing it out really help me. I do like to journal and have several half filled journals. Journals however, give me a chance to go back and be reminded of prayers and where God has answered and been at work. They also remind me of where I have stopped circling.

In my first "Circle" prayer journal I actually wrote out names or big prayers on the inside cover and would physically let my hand circle and scribble around the name as I prayed. That helped and kept me praying HARD.

I also have an app where I can just keep bullet points on my ipad...I just throw names or thoughts on it.

When I work in my prayer journal I find myself bulleting a lot too...not writing a great deal in narrative form. When I came back from Africa my prayers where lyrical, things were fitting into a rhythm and a flow...I haven't been able to capture that again.

Despite all of this my prayer life could use a good kick in the navel...

Stan said...

thanks for sharing - both of you - music helps me too - but I keep forgetting that - music on my cell phone or pulling out my guitar can center me - not used enough.

I will be exploring systems - I'd like to be able to use my phone, but input is limited - maybe I'll even try voice recording my prayers - who knows?

the table project too - if we use it and I make it part of my routine. I love that we can send out prayer requests quickly.