Thursday, June 6, 2013

Draw the Circle - Day 4 - Don't Pray Away

"This happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him." - John 9:3

I am really enjoying his book - I am finding it more practical than The Circle Maker.

And this day resonated too.  Mark makes a great point that much of our prayer isn't to get us out of something, but through it.

Jesus in the garden really modeled this - "Father, if it is possible take this cup for me, but your will be done."

I think about my own struggles with my back pain.  Sometimes it really grounds me.  I've prayed and prayed to be delivered - sometimes with great faith.  I've had others pray for me, with even greater faith.  Still pain.

I do wonder how this chronic pain has affected me both emotionally and spiritually.  I do believe before this accident, I used to soar more often.

But with this "thorn in my back" I have been much more aware and empathetic to other's pain.  Mark reminds me that sometimes praying isn't about taking away but persevering through.  This is what I am learning although I still have miles to go.  

I have to ask - and we all do - are my prayers about my comfort or God's glory?  Praying selflessly, humbly - wanting others to see and respond to the glory of God.

I also like Mark's idea of going down swinging - that is keep praying recognizing that we don't bat 1.000 with our prayers.  And that often God's "no" is better than our "yes."  And that God can use our troubles and pains to form us.

(Surely all the pain that we've experienced as a community is preparing us and forming us for something big - something(s) that bring glory to God!)

Thanks Mark and thanks Viners for taking this journey with me.  I'm kinda of itching to begin the process of circling big dreams for God.  I met with the food ministry board for BAUMC last night.  At the end, I was asked to pray and as I did, words poured out that were bigger dreams than (probably) anyone in that room could imagine - a non-profit restaurant, and victory gardens and farms and job training and housing . . ."  It's awesome when you catch a glimpse of what could be.

I can't wait to start praying those same prayers for the Vine.

No comments: