Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Draw the Circle - Day 2 - Established by God

In their hearts, humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps - Proverbs 16:9

In the closing days of my seminary education (a long, long time ago), one of my assignments was to write a short paper on how I would define success in my future ministry.  I remember reflecting and writing that I had no desire to be successful in my ministry but I did want to be found faithful.  The verse that I quoted was from Jesus' parable of the talents when a wealthy master praises two of his servants , "Well, done good and faithful servant - enter into the joy of your master!" These words came after the servants had doubled the money he had originally given them to invest on his behalf.

These are the words that I too long to hear from God on that great day when He brings me home - "Well done good and faithful servant."  I'm reflecting on this as I hear Mark Batterson share about divine appointments - encounters with people that God orchestrates to advance his Kingdom - divine appointments fueled by prayer.

I think we Viners have seen our fair share of these appointments, but I also wonder how many we miss?  Lately, I've been seeing more of these God moments - opportunities to help someone connect with God.  There is no greater joy than being used by God.

I want God to establish my steps - to place me in situations where I can point to Him.  Which means that my prayers must also include a request for "marching orders" - to go where God sends me.  I have a little more flexibility in my plans than many of you - my "office" changes depending on the day and my schedule.  Your steps may take you to work, but within your place of employment is a multitude of divine opportunities and encounters.

Don't ever doubt that God wants to use and WILL use you where you are IF you make yourself available.  Have your chalk handy?  If you haven't already, "circle" your place or work.  Claim it for God.  Name as many of your coworkers as you can asking God to open their souls for divine discussions.  Ask God to use you to produce fruit in the vineyard He's placed you in.

And I'll be praying the same for you.  If you'd like, name your work circle below and add a prayer.  I'll pray it with you.

Father, we think we're small in numbers and can't have a great impact, but You are reminding us that, through your Spirit's power, we can do even greater things than Jesus.  We can in the right soil, produce thirty, sixty and hundred times what has been planted. You are doing the hard work, orchestrating the entire universe with one hand and preparing the soil of human hearts with the other.  You are amazing!  And you are inviting us to join You in Your creation work.  Make us good and make us faithful.  And may we, each one of us, join You in turning the hearts of MANY to You.  May we enter into Your joy.  In Jesus name, Amen.

4 comments:

Thomas Dennison said...

I am not a big fan of praying for divine appointments. My days are scheduled and planned. When I wake up I often have big plans on what I am going to do for my kids at school or how I am going to bless someone. Many of these thoughts and plans come from God and others are just what I call "good stuff." So there is this line between doing God's will by just living in His ways and these interruptions to my day - which I know happen often in scripture.

I also don't like this divine appointment idea because there is this "pressure" to find someone, help someone...stop for each person on the road, pay for each persons meal at Wawa. What if I miss that...am I being selfish, not paying attention to God. The perfectionist in me fears this.

Day 2 and Natalie and I seem to both be circling Ella. We've had a few great days with her, but this is a road - a journey.

Also had the greatest confirmation of "well done" yesterday. One of my students, who is repeating Kindergarten and has a lot of delays, who spent all of last year saying "I hate school"---he said in his end of the year video that he wants to be a scientist because he loves Insane Science Wednesdays! Love you Buddy!!! God has a great life in store for you...

Stan said...

Thomas, my intent was never to add onto your schedule, but to ask God to use you at your work - a conversation with a student, colleague, a parent can that moves one person a fraction of an inch toward Christ. Divine appointments can (and should) happen within your work schedule. Those big plans you have for your students can be bathed in prayer. Your work is (one of) you mission field(s). And I know you take that seriously.

Stan said...

Bingo - the "well done."

Natalie said...

Stan thanks for the prompting to bath my workplace in prayer. My office is a rough place right now--lots of discontent and disgruntlements, power mongering and petty backbiting. I am envisioning my office in a circle of light--God may your presence be felt here!