Monday, June 17, 2013

Draw the Circle - Day 15 - Contend for Me

"Contend for me, my God and my Lord." - Psalm 35:23

There is a spectrum of belief about spiritual warfare.  I don't know where to start - books could be written - HAVE been written about this practical topic.

I do believe there is a spiritual war taking place around us.  The question is to what extent it affects us.  I want to contend it is very real and impacts us daily, but I also don;t want us having a demon hiding behind every tree.  I believe in demonic activity, but I don't want to over dramatize 

The book of Daniel talks about an angel that had to fight his way through the front lines to deliver a message (Daniel 10:12-14).  The book of revelation is not simply speaking to future warfare, but a glimpse of a current spiritual battle taking place beyond our perception.  Angels and demons are not uncommon words in our Bible.  And of course, look at Jesus' ministry.

If you've read CS Lewis' The Screwtape Letters, you'll find an wonderfully insightful story on evil's battle strategy.

Why share all this?  To make sure you pray for God's protection and power even against the spiritual realm.  Sometimes your prayers aren't being answered because of "stuff" happening you can't see.  (Daniel's angel was delayed 21 days from his first prayer.)  Sometimes you go through a dry spell or run into a lot of "bad luck."  Pray for God to revel what is causing the blockage and then pray through. "Deliver us from evil."

I want to encourage you to be bold in this part of your prayer life. "Greater is He that is in you, than he who is in the world."

A few days back, I talked about free will, but I can assure you that freewill does not apply to demons.  You have, through Christ, the power to give them their marching orders.  Send them to the feet of Jesus and let him deal with them.

You shouldn't be "spooked" or fear any of this.  We aren't in the exorcism business.  But we should surround ourselves with prayer that acknowledges that there is a spiritual war going on around us.  And you may want to "nest" yourself - start with a prayer binding up the spiritual forces of darkness before moving on - praying for weightier matters.

And a reminder that God is bigger than all this and that we are His and that He will contend for us.

God has our back.  Keep drawing circles.



No comments: