Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Draw the Circle - Day 16 - Lord, Surprise Me

"The wind blows wherever it pleases." - John 3:8

It really is a great prayer, "Lord, surprise us."

Who does God want to touch who will want to bless us?

Do you like surprises?  I guess I should say "good surprises."  I know some folk who don't like any kind of surprises.

I honestly think that's a sad way to live.  Life doesn't have to be constant chaos, but life would be dull without pleasant surprises.

What I really like about this short prayer is that it acknowledges that God is good and He wants to give good gifts to His children.  It speaks trust.  I trust God to bless me with something beyond my wildest dreams.

Secondly, it is a prayer of relinquishment (my favorite prayers).  It says, "God, you know best.  Father, You take control."

And that's a major issue.  Folk who don't like surprises like to be in control.  It's a false comfort.  Life is not controllable.  And true faith gives up control

Some of us are wired to lean toward structure and order.  Some of us are wired toward spontaneity and serendipity.  The Kingdom needs both.

But a prayer like "Lord, surprise me" is a prayer for all wirings.  It's letting God have control and letting God bless beyond our abilities.

Keep drawing circles.

Father, surprise the Vine.  Only you can do something beyond what we could ever think or imagine.  We look forward to unwrapping whatever You chose to give.  We can't wait to say "YEAH GOD!"  Even thinking about Your good gifts brings us joy.  And we can't wait to share just how good You are.  We can't wait to tell others about your goodness.  In Jesus' name.  Amen.

No comments: