Friday, June 14, 2013

Draw the Circle - Day 12 - Sow a Seed

"if you have faith as small as a mustard seed . . ." - Matthew 17:20

The illustration of the man planting the carob seed - which takes 70 years to reach maturity (begin producing fruit) is very appropriate to much I wanted to share with you today.  The powerful line in that story of a man planting seeds that he would not be able to enjoy ends with "I am planting trees for children and grandchildren so they will be able to eat the fruit of these trees."

It is a story of legacy and a story of patience.

I often think about legacy and patience when it comes to the Vine.

And all this ties into a conversation I had with Thomas yesterday over lunch who reminded me that sometimes I get way too far out in front of my people.

Much of what I have been sharing in this blog can be overwhelming - so much bigger than us - so far out of reach.  But I want to put you at ease.  I can't say that I bat 1.000 when it comes to discerning the future, but I have seen God work on me, in me and despite me to paint pictures of my church's future that have been amazingly accurate.  And often those pictures were refined and clarified by others.

That's what I am asking from you.  Don't be afraid.  First - have faith as big a mustard seed.  God can do great things with small things.  Second - be patient.  The vision that God gives us may be for our children and grandchildren.  It may find its fulfillment after you and I have given way to a new generation of Christ-followers.

Right now, you and I, are being called to be faithful where we are - in the present.  That means drawing circles around our family and sowing seeds in them.  Same with work, our neighborhood, and the school we meet in.  These circles are like ripples in a pond - expanding outward into our future circles.

One of the reasons I've been reluctant to talk about the Vine's future is because I have never been sure how long I would be intertwined with you.  But I am (re)realizing through this experiment and readings that any vision God gives the Vine is bigger than me (or you).  It's all about God.  In my first two churches, much of what I had envisioned happened AFTER I left.  One mantle was picked up by another church when mine rejected the opportunity to yoke with another congregation.  My last church just planted a new campus in the neighborhood my family and I lived in, in the school my children attended - a seed that I had sown for nine years.  I feel blessed to have sown seeds from which others can enjoy the fruit.

In the grand scheme of things, the Vine has just gotten started.  Really three years is just getting started.  But I may or may not be with you a year from now.  Much may depend of the prayers we are praying even now. But I believe this with all my heart - that He who began a good work in you, will see it on to completion.

My task (and yours) is to continue to remain faithful and to continue to pray and draw circles.  God has called me to equip you.  Ephesians 4:11-12.  And I will keep on with this task as long as I can.

"We need the patience of the planter.
We need the foresight of the farmer.
We need the mindset of the sower."

Keep the faith.  Keep drawing circles.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Our small group starts our 40 day prayer challenge today. Pressing into God this morning. 20 minutes of real prayer in an empty home. Axing how inadequate i feel to pray deeply-getting beyond the quick surface level conversations I have with God. Trying to open myself up to hear what He really wants to tell me. Hard but exciting!

Stan said...

awesome Natalie. I will "circle you all in the light." This comes from Pat Grahe who shared it is a Quaker response - more poetic than "I'll pray for you."

It will come with time. Practice.